From the BAIS Director’s Desk
This past week, BAIS again was able to experience the benefits of being part of the Network of International Christian Schools. Mrs. Sianturi and I attended the Annual Leadership Conference in the USA where all seventeen Directors of NICS schools across the globe and several accompanying principals gathered to discuss issues in NICS and in education in general. We both were challenged by pointed spiritual encouragements, effective leadership principles, and methods to measure academic excellence.
In addition to the personal growth benefits that we both were able to enjoy, I was again reminded of the assistance that NICS provides in the areas of recruitment and reducing overall operational costs because of our collective size. Insurance costs for our staff are significantly reduced because of this partnership, recruitment costs are reduced, and retention of staff is increased due to quality training and orientation provided by the Home Office for new teachers prior to arriving in Indonesia. It is truly a blessing to be a part of NICS because of the professional development opportunities and business advantages.
But the most significant benefit is that we are linked in to a large body of believers that are all supporting and praying for one another. We had the opportunity to be individually prayed for and encouraged by those who understand the challenges of international education. We were able to share about God’s faithfulness in each of our schools and celebrate with fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.
In light of that, I would like to share with you prayer requests for three schools. Please join me in praying for these schools as we know that there are communities all over the world praying for us as well.
- Malaysia – a brand new school is set to open in August of 2018. Pray for all the final preparations.
- Venezuela – pray for the school there as the country is under severe duress due to economic, and political turmoil.
- China – pray for the school in China as there has been an increase in government scrutiny in all they do.
It is a privilege to be part of the NICS community, and I am looking forward to being back in our BAIS community early next week!
PSAT for 8/9 and PSAT 10
Return signed letters and payment by Monday the 5th.
The purpose of this test is to help start preparing students for collegiate exams during their 11th and 12th grade years of high school. The exam will not count as a grade. It will simply be a tool that you and your child can use to help them prepare for the SAT exam coming up in several years.
Registration for all students – Wednesday, March 7th at 2:50pm in the MPR
PSAT 8/9 – for 8th and 9th graders – Thursday, March 8th
PSAT 10 – for 10th graders – Friday, March 9th
If you are interested in having your student take the PSAT 8/9 or the PSAT 10 please sign and return the letter that was sent home with students on Monday. There is a cost of 100,000Rp to cover the exam. Reminder, this is optional.
For more information please email email@example.com
BAIS CLINIC info
BAIS is working together with Biofarma (vaccine factory in Bandung) to give Diphteria vaccination (Td Vaccine) or Td booster for students and their family. If you would like to have the vaccination, please contact Dr. Mayke through email: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the BAIS’ clinic for further information regarding the date and time for diphtheria vaccination.
Protect yourself protect others get immunized.
Congratulations to Sergio Limandibhratha & Bryan Tjut!
- The University of Denver – He has been named a Chancellor Scholar and awarded a $26,000 scholarship.
- Universtiy of California, Irvine – He has been selected to be part of the Campuswide Honors Program.
Bryan has been accepted to the City University of Hong Kong.
Please make sure to celebrate with the students when you see them around campus! Give them a high-five or a pat-on-the-back.
Ms. Melissa Hall
Math Dept News
- CONGRATULATIONS to Josiah Kim (Grade 11) – Bronze Medal Winner at TIMO (Thailand International Mathematical Olympiad) final round in Bangkok, Thailand!
- BAIS has learned of an opportunity to join the Singapore and Asian Schools Math Olympiads (SASMO) this March. The contest will be held Saturday, April 7, 2018 at SDK BPK Penabur Banda, Bandung and is open for all students from grade 2-11. If you are interested, please contact me, email@example.com, sending your full name and current grade before March 9. The admission fee is 200,000 rupiah per student. We will send some further details once we have the list of students participating.
Ibu Rita Harsono
We are so excited about this year’s Week Without Walls. In a little over a week 15 teams of students will be branching out all over Bandung to serve others. Our goal is to shine the light of the gospel and share the love of Jesus with our community. We want to ask that you be in prayer for all of our teams in three ways:
- Pray for their safety as they travel and serve.
- Pray that those we are serving would find encouragement through our time with them.
- Pray that God would work in our students and deepen their relationship with Him as they serve others.
Your child should have brought a permission slip home on Tuesday of this week. Please make sure that is completed and returned as soon as possible.
March 7, 2018 from 4pm to 6pm
Scene Twelve: Croquet & Scene Thirteen: The Trial
White Rabbit, Knave of Hearts, Queen of Hearts, Scarecrow, March Hare, Five, Alice, Tin Man, Lion, Mad Hatter, Dorothy, Toto, Glinda, Knight, Seven, Cheshire Cat 1, Tin Man, King of Hearts
Pre-School Enrollment for 2018-2019 School Year
Preschool Assessment and Parent Meeting Day
Friday, March 16th at 12:45pm
We are inviting parents and students to enroll for school next year. Don’t forget the Enrichment Hours. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Ibu Leony in the Front Office (+62-22-86813949).
Make sure to submit a school application before March 13th to participate in this assessment day.
On Wednesday, March 7, BAIS will be hosting the Kota Baru Interschool Spelling Bee beginning at 8:00am. Parents are welcome to come and support their spellers.
Participating spellers are encouraged to dress neatly by wearing batik. We are excited for this opportunity to build relationships with other schools in our community!
This event will be broadcasted live on YouTube as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38zlzUzoZNo
Why do we host a yearly Spelling Bee?
BAIS Elementary once again has the opportunity to host the Kota Baru Community Spelling Bee. We started this Spelling Bee 10 years ago as a way to get to know some of the other schools in Kota Baru. Our students have the opportunity to compete and earn a chance of recognition for excellence in spelling. We at BAIS love to provide experiences that showcase our students in various areas whether it is athletics, the arts, or in academics such as a community-wide Spelling Bee.
Good luck to all our BAIS Elementary spellers.
Mrs. Charity Sianturi
Athletics & Club News
- We are proud of our IISSAC basketball and cross-country teams! BAIS girls placed 6th and the boys team got second place! Thanks to all the parents, teachers, and Eagle fans that went Salatiga and watched the games online.
- Senior Crystal Muljadi and junior Paul Walker were the BAIS MVPs of the IISSAC Tournament.
- Congratulations to our cross-country runners that medaled!
- 5k: Karen Sinaga 4th place
- 3k Boys: Ollie Gunthorpe 1st – Kai Thomas 3rd – JiSeong Shin 5th
- 3k Girls: Petra Thomas 3rd – Ludia Jeong 4th
- A sincere thanks to all the time, energy, and effort the seniors and their parents gave to BAIS and the basketball program this season. Thank you to all the fans that came to the Senior Basketball Game Tuesday.
EAGLE Victory: 53-43
- IISSAC Swimming and Badminton start March 5th!
- Due to bad weather, Swimming Tryouts will finish Monday, March 5th! Thank you for your cooperation.
- IISSAC Badminton final tryout Monday, March 26th! Students invited to practice are expected to be at practice this coming Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. practice time: 3:45-5pm.
After School Activities
- Thanks to all those that signed up for after school clubs and activities this week.
- Junior Josiah Kim earned a bronze medal at the Thailand International Mathematical Olympiad (TIMO) in Bangkok.
- Jayden Budijono participated in the WOSAMAC Math Competition and Jeremy Budijono, got 5th place at the same competition in Yogyakarta this past Sunday! Great Job Boys!!! We are proud of you boys!
- YuLim Sung represented BAIS in the World Mathematics Invitational (WMI) qualifier in Bandung! We are very proud of you and will miss you!
- BAIS’ MUN Team will compete in the PMUN Competition March 1-2.
- Registration for the April 7 BAIS Swim Invitational is open. The QR Code provided will allow you register for the invitational.
- Season Three After School Activities start March 5th!
- Our BAIS community is amazing! Parents, staff, and staff spouses, Thank you to all of you who have volunteered to lead our school’s clubs and activities. We are only able to offer extracurricular activities because of your commitment and dedication to our community.
It is much appreciated!
BAIS’ Teacher Choir will practice Wednesday, Feb. 28th at 7am!
Keep your eyes on the BAIS Buzz for updates, changes, and more information!
Download this issue as PDF: Issue 27: 2 March, 2018 – English