From the Secondary Principal
In the secondary school our teachers are encouraged to create units of instruction, lesson plans, and assessments that are connected to real world, authentic problems, and unfamiliar situations. I am pleased to present to you an article written by Rachel Gyuha Son in Mr. Squiers’s English Language Arts “Composition: Non-fiction Writing” class. I encourage you to read the article and become more familiar with new terms and conditions related to the software application, WhatsApp. Thank you, Rachel!
As many users started moving to other applications like Signal and Telegram — which provides better security — after the announcement, WhatsApp has clarified its updated policy to reassure users: all WhatsApp chats are secure and cannot be read by the platform. However, this clarification does not address the main problem: sharing user data with Facebook. Neither Facebook and WhatsApp can read your conversations with your friends because of end-to-end encryption for messages (WhatsApp). Then, why are people concerned about this issue? It’s because of metadata, “a powerful data source”. Metadata does not show you the actual content of the chat, but it still provides a lot of data linked to you, such as location, contacts, and identifiers, meaning that WhatsApp can read everything but the actual chat (Muslimi).
- Bloomberg, Nate Lanxon |. “Analysis | Why WhatsApp’s New Privacy Rules Are Sparking Alarm.” The Washington Post, WP Company, 13 Jan. 2021, www.washingtonpost.com/business/why-whatsapps-new-privacy-rules-are-sparking-alarm/2021/01/13/5aafadac-55bd-11eb-acc5-92d2819a1ccb_story.html.
- Center, Electronic Privacy Information. “EPIC – In Re: WhatsApp.” Electronic Privacy Information Center, epic.org/privacy/internet/ftc/whatsapp/.
- Muslimi, Mehran. “Metadata: The Whatsapp Issue Affecting You.” Medium, Medium, 16 June 2020, email@example.com/metadata-the-whatsapp-issue-affecting-you-2bf13e77d065.
- Torres, JC. “WhatsApp Clarifies Facebook Data Sharing, Conflicts with Own Policy.” SlashGear, SlashGear, 13 Jan. 2021, www.slashgear.com/whatsapp-clarifies-facebook-data-sharing-conflicts-with-own-policy-12654791/.
- “WhatsApp FAQ – About End-to-End Encryption.” WhatsApp.com, faq.whatsapp.com/general/security-and-privacy/end-to-end-encryption/.
- “Why WhatsApp (and Telegram) Messages Are Not Really Private?: Andrea Fortuna.” So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish, 29 July 2019, www.andreafortuna.org/2019/08/12/why-whatsapp-and-telegram-messages-are-not-really-private/.
From the Guidance Counselor Office
Congratulations to Deo Sinaga, Ezra Thomas & Oliver Gunthorpe!
- Deo was accepted to Penn State University & Wheaton College in the United States.
- Ezra was accepted to Houghton College in the United States.
- Oliver was accepted to Wheaton College in the United States.
Make sure to congratulate them when you see them around… your Google Meet.
Important Update from College Board about SAT
College Board is making some adjustments to the SAT test. Please make note that
- SAT Subject Tests: Will no longer be offered after June 2021
- SAT with Essay: The essay portion of the SAT will be discontinued after May 2021
Please see this article by the College Board for more information about their recommendation for replacements to the SAT Subject Test.
Upcoming Virtual Events
This is an amazingly unique time to be looking for post-secondary schools. Normally schools want students to come to their campus to tour and learn more but one of the perks of the current worldwide situation is the availability of virtual university tours and webinars. I encourage you to look around, check out the schools, and begin learning what your options are!
Be sure to check out the Upcoming Virtual Events to see what is coming up! The Google Doc is updated almost daily.
Marketing Team News
I want to thank everyone for supporting the marketing team this year, whether through word of mouth; telling family and friends about our school, or through social media posts. However, we are still in need of your help and support. Since we are not able to do any face to face marketing events, we are increasing our social media marketing and creating an effective Search Engine Optimization (SEO) for our website.
To increase our visibility in various search engines (i.e. Google, Bing, etc.) we need your help to rate our school. Please take a minute to rate our school by following this link: g.page/baisedu/review
In the review we need words such as:
- Best International school in Bandung
- International School with best facilities
- Best International education for our children
- International school with native-English speakers
- Highly qualified teachers
Those are just a few samples that will help our SEO. Thank you so much for all of your help to make BAIS known all over Indonesia and the world.
Science Class News
Come join The Made to Change Club and make snow at home! Made to Change is a student-led organization that wants to provide young learners with the opportunity to experience fun, interactive learning in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. The club’s motto is learn, explore, and create. Through several hands-on labs led online, our club hopes that we encourage academic exploration within young learners.
Hello All Thespians!
There is an important survey that has been sent out via email and is also linked here. We need all parents of drama students to please fill it out. This is for both the elementary participants as well as the secondary participants. Please fill in the before Monday, Jan 25. Thank you!
Wednesday, Jan 27 – ON-CAMPUS Practice 4:15 – 6:15 plus clean-up
Mrs. Loewen does not need vocal recording if you are not on campus anymore. Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the hard work you all put in at home for these last months. It had paid off and your songs are sounding great!
Who: All people in Sound/Lights; Ollie; Emily; Mia; Simeon; Josh; Mael; Jinny; Kezia; Eliza; Ezra; Samantha; Kathlyn; Ella; Kai; Sandor; Zach; RyAnne; Sein; Jace
What: Scene 6; Choreography; Vulgarian Songs; Family Songs