From the Elementary Principal’s Desk
I hope you had an enjoyable and restful day off yesterday. This week I have a variety of different announcements for you that deal with curriculum as well as the elementary departments.
In the area of curriculum…
- As many of you know we have been waiting for our Math, Science, and Mandarin textbooks to be released from customs in Jakarta. The company we are working with, PT. Eka Global Perkasa (Limma Bookshop), just informed us that the books are expected to be released from customs on Sept 28th, and they will deliver the books to us on Friday Sept 29th.
- We are forming this year’s curriculum review teams for Language Arts, ELD, and Social Studies. If there are any parents that can help give insight into these curricular areas, please let me know. You can either email me at email@example.com or contact the school at +62 22 8681 3949.
In the Elementary…
- We are looking to start our elementary school garden. However, we need volunteers that can help the students and the teachers to know what to plant and how to garden. If you have any gardening skills or insights we could greatly use your help.
- Next week, the elementary will attend a training on the gradebook portion of PowerSchool. Once the teachers are officially trained, they will begin adding student grades to the PowerSchool gradebook. Until then if you have any questions about your students’ progress, please feel free to contact the teachers directly for that information.
- The first week in October I hope to have my 2nd Coffee Talk with the elementary parents. The focus will be Preschool and Kindergarten students. Please stay tuned for more information about that get-together.
As always we thank you for your support and partnership as we work together to build our BAIS team. Have a great weekend,
Charity (LaMertha) Sianturi, Ed.S
Elementary Principal / Curriculum Coordinator
School Portrait Makeup Day
If you missed having your school ID photo taken during the Back to School Kickoff, no worries. School pictures will be taken Monday and Tuesday, October 16th and 17th. Secondary, stop by the upstairs computer lab during break time or lunch time for your picture.
Are you an amazing gardener? Would you like to spend some time working with some fantastic elementary students? We have a great opportunity for you to partner up with one of the elementary classes to help them with their gardens! We are looking for those who are knowledgeable in growing plants from seeds, composting or just willing to help in the garden in general. If you are interested, please contact the front office or Charity.
The activity will start in October during elementary lunch.
When: September 27, 2017
What time: 4:00 – 6:00 PM
Scene Two: The Live Garden
Everyone with these roles must come to practice:
- White Rabbit
- Dorothy, Rose
- Tiger Lily
- Extra Flowers
Ms. Beth LaMertha
CLEAN UP BANDUNG DAY
Save the date! Sunday, October 8th, from 7am-9am you have an opportunity to make a difference, raise awareness, and help clean up litter here in our community. Clean Up Bandung Day has become Clean Up Jabar (West Java) Day and has expanded to KBP and other surrounding areas. You can participate here in the Kota Baru community, or on Jalan Dago in Bandung. Learn more here: https://kitabisa.com/cujbd2017 or check out (and like) the Clean up Jabar Facebook page. Starting next week you’ll be able to sign up and commit to participate. Students in science classes may have the opportunity to earn extra credit for participating. More info to come in next week’s BAIS Buzz!
Athletics & Club News
- Our Eagles won their second game on Tuesday!
- Game next Tuesday against SMKN 4; Boys: 4pm; Girls: 4:30pm
- Game Friday, Sept. 29 at BIS. Starts at 4 Please come out and support your BAIS Eagles.
- Season’s Record: Boys 2-1 / Girls remain 2-0
After School Activities
- Middle School played their first basketball game Tuesday against Cahaya Bangsa.
CBCS pulled out a 40-35 victory our Eagles.
- Coach Fulwood said, “BAIS Eagles played a tough game against CBCS, but fell short of a win against our neighboring school. The team feels no defeat; instead, we are determined to get back on the court and play!”
- Young Tigers Soccer Club first tournament Saturday, Sept. 23 Team from YTFC BAIS, YTFC BUMI PANCASONA, and YTFC CBCS will compete.
- All students from 1st to 6th grade are invited to play in the tournament. Contact Ibu Dias if interested. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please come out and support your BAIS Hatchlings.
- Season 2 Beginning and Intermediate Swim Lessons begin Sept. 25. Five weeks, two days a week, one hour each day. You can sign up TODAY with Ibu Dias (email@example.com)
Club Highlight of the Week: Yarn Club
Group Members: JuEun, MiSo, Joycelynn, Erica, Luana, Chandra, Abby, Ludia, Chen Lu, and Sung Ha.
Sophomore Sung Ha says, “Yarn Club is fun and calming but crazy sometimes.” Miss Hall and Mrs. Loewen are the club sponsors.
Miss Hall observes, “The girls are developing their fine-motor skills, while learning to persevere through hard things. It’s a great time of fellowship; I enjoy hanging out with the girls while they are working on their crocheting or knitting projects.”
Mrs. Loewen projects “these girls are going to be knitting and crocheting up a storm soon! I love to hear their creativity and the plans for all the things they want to make. Keep it up girls, you’re doing great!
Yarn Club meets every Tuesday at 3:40 after school.
Keep your eyes on the BAIS Buzz for updates, changes, and more information!
BAIS Chaplain News
Every day over 4,000 children are dying of water-related diseases such as cholera and typhoid that are easily preventable. Many more are suffering from illnesses that stop them from going to school and growing up into healthy adults. The Water of Life safe water system through Compassion International goes to the heart of one of the greatest and most urgent needs in developing countries today. For one juta we can provide safe drinking water to 120 people in a village or community.
The BAIS elementary students are endeavoring to make a difference in the world by providing 5 of these units to communities in need of clean water. We are proud to report that they have already raised enough money to purchase the first unit through our chapel offerings. WAY TO GO KIDS!!
School Counselor News
On Tuesday, September 26, high school students have the opportunity to hear from NAFA (Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts) in a presentation during secondary lunch in Mr. Powers’ classroom. High school students and parents are welcome to come and bring their lunch to find out more about NAFA. They will also keep a table set up until after school in the lobby.
Here are some other upcoming presentations for high school students and parents:
- Corban University: Friday, September 29
- LaSalle College and Loyola Marymount University (LMU): Tuesday, October 3
- Yale-NUS College in Singapore: Thursday, October 5
Date: December 8, 2017 at 5:30pm
Dress Rehearsal Schedules:
- December 5, 2017: 2:45pm – 4:30pm
- December 6, 2017:
- Elementary 3 – 4th period
- Middle school: 2nd period
- High School: 1st period
- Girls: white dress or white blouse and black skirt
- Boys: white shirt & black pants
- Shoes: dark color
Download the full issue as PDF: Issue 07: 22 September, 2017 – English