From the BAIS Secondary Principal’s Desk
Dear BAIS Community,
As we wind down the first semester of the school year and swing into the season celebrating the birth of our savior, I find it quite fitting to focus on the great achievements of our students and community.
Let’s start with the most important members of our community. The reason we do what we do – the students!
- Josephine Tanu recently placed 2nd in the U-14 Indonesian national tennis tournament in Jakarta.
- Guinevere Helga Winesa placed 3rd in the United Nations ESCAP Photography Contest.
- BAIS sent its first Model United Nations team (Hamin Noh, Guinevere Helga Winesa, Sergio Limandibhratha, Gyeong Min Kwon, Kevin Ko, and Jun Seon Hong) to Jakarta for a MUN Conference.
- The girls and boys IISSAC soccer teams took 4th and 2nd place, respectively, at the tournament and finished with final records of Girls: 9 wins 6 losses and 3 ties and Boys: 11 wins 5 losses and 6 ties.
Additionally, the hard work of our students paid off in honor roll statistics.
- Middle School A Honor Roll – 36%
- Middle School B Honor Roll – 40%
- 77% of middle school students made the honor roll!
- High School A Honor Roll – 52%
- High School B Honor Roll – 30%
- 82% of high school students made the honor roll!
After analyzing our student results on the SAT, AP, and MAP standardized assessments, I’m please to announce the following.
- On the new SAT, BAIS students score almost 200 points above the US national average
- On AP exams through the last three years, the percentage of BAIS test takers who qualify for college credit (3 or higher for most universities) is 78%
- On MAP tests, secondary students have RIT scores 11.58 points higher than the worldwide average
Also, let’s not forget the following partial list of university acceptances The Class of 2017 received.
- Stanford University
- UC Berkely
- Purdue University (Honors)
- Waseda University
- Yale – NUS
- University of Sydney
- University College of London
- University of Michigan
- Emory University
- Texan A&M
Our students are doing well! Keep up the good work!
As a community, I want to congratulate you all – students, teachers, and parents, on successfully navigating the change from Renweb and TeacherEase to PowerSchool. Recently, I’ve been hearing a lot of positive reports from students related to the ease in accessing scores on assessments, keeping up with homework assignments, and the ability to interact and communicate with their teacher and their content. I am excited to see us all continue to excel with the help of PowerSchool second semester.
It is a privilege and I am humbled to serve and lead the secondary division at BAIS. Let’s keep up the good work and continue seeking to grow together during 2018!
Mr. Jeremy Thomas
Dear Parents, We would like to inform you that Ibu Nanda will not be returning to BAIS after the Christmas holidays. Due to family circumstances, she needs to return to Papua. We have appreciated her contribution to the Indonesian Language and Culture Program at BAIS and pray God will continue to bless others through her.
Charity (LaMertha) Sianturi, Ed.S
Athletics & Club News
- Boys basketball game Friday, Dec. 15 against SMAN 2 at 3pm!
- Our BAIS Eagles are undefeated.
- Boys: 2-0
- Girls: 1-0
After School Activities
- The 2nd BAIS Swimming Invitational will be on Saturday, January 27. Register for the event before January 17. Use the BAIS registration Barcode to register, Google Sheets (https://goo.gl/KBte9C), Google Form (https://goo.gl/forms/EJfITDXGE6MPA8vj1) or contact Pak Henry (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
- Congrats to Josiah Kim and YuLim Sung for representing BAIS in a math competition last Saturday here in Kota Baru. Results from the competition will be in later this month. Good luck!”
Secondary School-Wide Competition
- BAIS Athletic Department needs an official logo for the 2018 IISSAC Swim Competition.
- We want you to create a logo to represent our school and the IISSAC Swim Tournament this coming April. *Similar to the 2017 IISSAC Soccer logo.
- The logo will be used in advertising, shirts, marketing, awards, etc.
- These words must be incorporated in the logo: “2018” and “IISSAC” (optional: “Swim”-or a variation of the word)
- Simple, Sleek, and easily transferable (meaning the image should be easily transferred from a t-shirt to a banner, to a letterhead, etc).
- All images must be copyright free or the rights must be purchased.
- All entries should be submitted to the Athletic Department (at email@example.com) before December 8th. All entries submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
- A committee will judge each entry and choose a winner.
Keep your eyes on the BAIS Buzz for updates, changes, and more information!
January 10, 2018 4:00 – 6:00 PM
Scene 7: The Stolen Tarts
Scene 8: Painting the Roses Red
If you are in these 2 scenes, please come to practice
From the Computer Department
Season’s Greetings, Celebrate the holiday season with us at https://sites.google.com/baisedu.org/christmas. Elementary and middle school scholars prepared a collection of fun games, delicious recipes, and excellent projects to share with you.
We want to take this opportunity to remind you that the second semester payment is due on or before Monday, January 8, 2018. Additionally, the payment options that BAIS allows here in Indonesia are as follows:
For Indonesian Rupiah cash payments, please pay directly to the BAIS Finance Office during office hours. BAIS accepts cash payments between 7:45 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. For bank transfers, please pay directly to the BAIS bank account with full detailed information regarding the student’s name and grade in the information section of the bank form. The bank account information is the following:
Bank Name: PT Bank Permata
Bank Address: Jalan Merdeka No. 66, Bandung
Account Name: Yayasan Bandung Alliance Intercultural S
Account #: 809-01-8415
Swift Code: BBBAIDJA
Please note that BAIS does not accept Giros, Checks, or ATM transfers as a payment method. If you have any questions, please contact the Finance team at firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Mr. Mark Boccaccio
Chief Financial Officer
WEEK WITHOUT WALLS
Dear Students & Parents, Week Without Walls (WWW) is coming up in March! WWW is a time when all BAIS students serve the community and the Lord. It’s an exciting event!
We want to ask our students, parents, and the community for suggestions. Do you have an idea for a service project which BAIS students could participate in? Are you connected to an outreach or project which BAIS could help? We want to know!
We are looking for any and all ideas of service projects! You won’t be expected to help with any project you suggest, so please just send any ideas you have!
We need projects for elementary groups, middle school groups, and high school groups. Also, if you would like to contribute in any other way (food donations, supplies, etc), please let us know as well.
Please email ideas to Jason Whitehurst <email@example.com>
Thanks on behalf of the WWW committee and BAIS students!
Mr. Jason Whitehurst
Download the PDF version here: Issue 19: 14 December, 2017 – English